Sunday, January 30, 2011

How did Sonam Kapoor Lose Weight?



Dear Friends, Here comes our most sought after day of the week. Its a Sunday... Good Morning, Weekends are a bit like rainbows; they look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them. 

So lets get inspired by Sonam Kapoor's weight loss story. Fasten your seat belts as we take off...






How did Sonam Kapoor lose 30-35kgs of her weight?


Sonam Kapoor has transformed into a hot girl from her simple Saawariya image, but most people don’t know that Sonam lost a whooping 30 kilos before finding fame in Bollywood.However the beauty doesn't like discussing her weight loss. She says: "I weighed 86 kgs and I agree that I lost almost 30 kgs later on but this is something I am done answering! "Even when I was 86, my height made up for my weight. I never looked out of shape even then as I had the narrow bone structure of my mum. I wonder why such a hue and cry is made out of this issue even today."She adds: "It was my dad who once told me - as an actor it is very important to look good on screen and to stay healthy as there are erratic working hours here. "He inspired me as even at his age he looks extremely fit. That was when I decided I need to get my priorities in check and look after myself in a better manner."





In an Interview in Coffee with Karan Sonam says, “I was depressed when I went to boarding school at the age of 15. I was the only Indian girl in my school in Singapore. There was plenty of junk food and mum had stopped all chocolates at home. Here, I was free and ate though it was comfort eating and I also gained weight due to hormonal imbalances. I went from 50 kilos to 90 kilos in jus 4 months. I gained 40 kilos. I used to eat 1 pint icecream, two large pizzas alone and instead of three meals would have 10 meals a day. My mum started crying seeing me.”


She adds, “It was my dad who once told me – as an actor it is very important to look good on screen and to stay healthy as there are erratic working hours here. He inspired me as even at his age he looks extremely fit. That was when I decided I need to get my priorities in check and look after myself in a better manner.”



She had put on a lot of weight while studying in Singapore. When she got the offer for "Sawariya" from Sanjay Leela Bhansali, she knew what she had to do to take part in the project successfully. She now turned her attention to weight loss. Let's see what helped her to lose weight:

  • Sonam started off with her weight loss plan with an initial objective to lose 35 kg.

  • Sonam said that she could not deny the contribution of her mother in her weight loss struggle. Her mother was to keep her away from fatty and sugary foods like chocolates, fried foods, ice creams and sweets.

  • She began her weight training sessions.

  • She got benefitted from artistic yoga and Power Yoga.

  • She maintained a general fitness routine as well.

  • She used to take small meals, low in carbohydrates and high in protein for six times a day.

  • Her breakfast menu consisted of oatmeal and fruits.

  • After a workout session she used to have brown breads and egg whites.

  • Later the post workout meal was changed to a protein shake with juice.

  • Her lunch menu consisted of pulses, vegetables, one ragi roti, salad and a piece of fish or chicken.

  • In the evening she used to take high-fiber crackers with chicken or egg whites.

  • The dinner was simpler and comprised of soup, salad and chicken or fish.


How does she keeps healthy?


I never binge and eat everything in moderation. Also, I never ignore my cravings. I eat whenever a craving strikes, but in small portions. When I felt like chocolates three weeks ago, I didn't hold back, I took a small piece. When I'm traveling I carry an apple or sandwich or health bars to satisfy myself without piling on excess calories.

My grandmother taught me to sip on warm water first thing in the morning. It flushes out toxins from the system. I follow it up with honey and lime water. Another must for me is a 'no smoking' atmosphere, at home, work or in public places.


What is her fitness routine?

I was very sporty in school and played rugby, basketball and other games regularly. This has helped me develop flexibility to step in and out of different exercise routines with ease. I feel cardiovascular exercises work best for me in combination with weight training. Each day of the week I focus on a particular body part, such as the abdomen, arms, shoulders or waist.

I  do 30 minutes of cardio every day. Two days a week I follow it up with dance exercises learnt from Ashley Lobo. On other days I practice Bharat Thakur's Power Yoga. It is very strenuous but has immense health benefits. In summer, I like to swim as much as I can. Whenever I get the time, I play squash too, which requires a lot of strength. I try to do different workouts and balance them out in order to keep my motivation high; plus mixing exercises helps burn more calories.


What are her learnings from the weight loss journey ?

Erratic work schedules often make maintaining your weight difficult. But its possible as long as you eat healthy every day and work out a bit daily. Also its important to undergo a medical check-up to ensure  that you havn't put on weight due to a medical condition.


What is next on her agenda?

I thought I had slimmed down enough but my father got me a fat-free, sugar-free cake on my birthday this year, just to remind me that I am in an industry full of female actors who are slimmer than me! I know I need to be on top of my weight. Not because I am vain, because I have reached a stage when I cannot be anything but healthy! 

Could you relate to her? 
Got inspired? 
Let me know. 

Till you figure it out, let me share an sms from Mrs. Sheetal, my gym buddy.

Dear Diet,
I just don't think its going to work between us. Its over between you and me. Your are boring, tasteless and I can't stop cheating on you.
Sincerely,
Me

You have a great Sunday.... ah ah... watch your calories..



See you tomorrow with Monday shoes on ! Bye for now !

1 comment: